Sustainability & Flutecorr
Sustainable development is a key component of any business. We achieve this by creating a high-quality product that is highly reusable and recyclable. We also incorporate a greener approach within our production cycle by regrinding unwanted material and reusing it to produce new material. This technique allowed us to recycle 796 000 kg of plastic last year alone. But how green is corrugated plastic?
Recycling corrugated plastic
Corrugated plastic is made of Polypropylene, the same type of plastic used in:
- Yogurt & margarine tubs
- Plastic cups & baby bottles
- Kitchenware, microwavable plastic containers and lids
All these products are classified #5 plastics. Most local curbside services don’t accept #5 plastics. In the US, you can use this easy tool to find your nearest pickup location.
Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle
Corrugated plastic is a greener material than many of its alternatives. A theory called the three R’s of waste management illustrate how corrugated plastic sets itself apart. This waste hierarchy goes as follows.
- Reduce: corrugated plastic is strong and rigid all at a lower weight, reducing the amount of material required for a given project.
- Reuse: Corrugated plastic’s durability translates to long and repeated use enabling a longer product life.
- Recycle: corrugated plastic is made using polypropylene copolymers, a material easily recyclable. (#5 Plastics)
These properties make corrugated plastic a great option when you are looking at reducing waste and your carbon footprint.
Components of corrugated plastic
Corrugated plastic is made of Polypropylene (PP), also known as polypropene or plastic #5. is a thermoplastic polymer. It is strong, tough, has a high resistance to heat and acts as a barrier to moisture. It also has a high chemical resistance. Polypropylene is the second-most widely produced commodity plastic (after polyethene). In 2013, the global market for polypropylene was about 55 million tonnes.
- Community (1)
- Design (1)
- Distributor (2)
- external (3)
- Learn (16)
- News (16)
- Recognition (5)
- Safety (1)
- Sustainability (1)
- Trade Show (9)
- Uncategorized (1)